HOMEMADE CAFE SUA DA
I posted a photo of homemade Cafe Sua Da (Vietnamese iced coffee) on Instagram a couple weeks ago and had some requests for the recipe. This is the drink that Loc, my little brother and I drink all the time. Loc probably has about 3-4 cups a day. He can’t function without it. They’re super easy to make, don’t cost much and the taste is delicious.
Here is what you need:
Vietnamese phin (coffee filter)
Condensed Milk (this is usually sweet so you don’t need sugar)
Ground coffee (The one we use at home is Cafe Du Monde)
Instructions: Everyone’s taste in coffee is different. Make your cafe sue da however you like your coffee: some like it bitter and some will like it more sweet. Add one extra teaspoon of ground coffee if you like to have it strong and add extra condensed milk to lighten or sweeten it.
1. Bring one cup of hot water to a boil.
2. Put 2 full teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk into your favorite glass so it pools at the bottom.
3. Remove the top screen from the coffee filter. Put two teaspoons of ground coffee in the filter and screw the screen back on, compacting the ground coffee. Then place the filter on top of the glass with the sweetened condensed milk.
4. Pour just enough hot water to cover the grounds into the phin and let it drip into the glass on top of the condensed milk. Let it sit until all the dripping has stopped. I always wait for the hot water to come down and then I pour a little extra water on the coffee phin because I don’t like my coffee too strong.
5. Stir it up and put crushed ice in the glass. Enjoy your cool coffee on a hot summer day!
** In the morning, If you like to drink your coffee hot, you can use the same recipe without ice. Enjoy and have a lovely Sunday! xo Nini